As every year since 2016, we’re having the ODC Appreciation Day around October. If you don’t know what “ODC Appreciation Day” is, it is Tim Hall’s initiative to simply say thank you. It started as “OTN (Oracle Technology Network) appreciation day” and then changed to “ODC (Oracle Developer Community) Appreciation Day” when Oracle rebranded OTN. It is meant to acknowledge that we, as a community, appreciate what the people at Oracle community are doing for us by writing these posts and add the hashtag #ThanksODC.
One of my customers is a software company and they use Oracle database for their product. One of the things we need to do when they certify an Oracle version is to create silent installation scripts. These scripts are for Windows and used for demo and testing environments. I did that for 11.2 and for 12.1 and now it’s 12.2’s turn.
If you read my post Restoring Standby Database, you know that one of the problems I had was that the new control file refused to open the database with resetlogs even though the database was consistent.
Over the years I ran into all kind of weird and wonderful backup and restore scenarios. This case has challenged me for a while now and I finally had the chance to check it properly and figure out what’s going on. So here is the story.
One of my clients is restoring their database backup to another server for some testing. They do it periodically so we can also verify that the backup is good (which is great!). In a few cases, after the restore I saw that the restored database has an incarnation that the original database doesn’t have (and not the one created by the “open resetlogs” after the recovery). This actually caused a problem during the restore, but this restore has a few issues (I started a post about that as well).
I had a talk with a customer/colleague that got me thinking about a strange case of multitenant configuration. The chat was about an environment with two data centers and data guard.
During the discussion, I realized that there might be an issue with listener services, so I checked it and this post is the result
I’ve installed quite a few PSUs in my professional life, but this time, it was something else. I’m talking about a RAC environment with 2 nodes and a database containing JVM, so this was a complex patch to begin with. The problem is the the readme is incomplete and on top of that I ran into a few issues (some I could find on MOS but some I couldn’t). I’m writing this to assist anyone who needs to install this patch by providing the steps that worked for me. Please note that I patched 184.108.40.206 home, for other versions the steps might be a bit different.