It’s been about a year since Oracle decided to change their database version schema, from version with a couple of releases (e.g. 12.1 is 12cR1 and 12.2 is 12cR2) to a single annual version (e.g. 18c and 19c). Now, when 18c is stable and 19c is here on the cloud and Exadata and almost here on-premises, I thought it’s a good time to revisit this topic.
Oracle Open World was interesting like every year. This year, Oracle started talking about features that will probably be in Oracle 19c (which is the last 12.2 release). The rumor says that it will be out in the first half of 2019 (somewhere around April-May).
As you might know, I didn’t attend a lot of sessions, but managed to gather some information about expected features (given Oracle’s safe harbor of course).
Different software components (operating systems, databases, etc.) are updating our clocks automatically when our country changes the clock (when daylight saving starts or ends). In order to do that, the system has to know the date for the daylight saving. This is the DST information.
I had a bad night last Thursday.
After patching two test RAC databases and one production RAC with 180417 DB Bundle Patch (and some one-offs), I got to the point where it was time to update the most critical RAC system.
We were really looking forward to this as we had hit a few bugs that this DBBP and one-offs should fix. But boy, did that go wrong…
Lately I started patching a client’s database (220.127.116.11) to the latest PSU (180417). This is a RAC environment with streams and all kind of other features, so over the time we hit quite a lot of different bugs. When we planned this PSU (we installed the bundle patch version), we added about 7 one-off patches (some are recommended by Oracle and some we had to add because the bugs affected us quite badly).
I’ve installed quite a few PSUs in my professional life, but this time, it was something else. I’m talking about a RAC environment with 2 nodes and a database containing JVM, so this was a complex patch to begin with. The problem is the the readme is incomplete and on top of that I ran into a few issues (some I could find on MOS but some I couldn’t). I’m writing this to assist anyone who needs to install this patch by providing the steps that worked for me. Please note that I patched 18.104.22.168 home, for other versions the steps might be a bit different.