One of my customers is a software company and they use Oracle database for their product. One of the things we need to do when they certify an Oracle version is to create silent installation scripts. These scripts are for Windows and used for demo and testing environments. I did that for 11.2 and for 12.1 and now it’s 12.2’s turn.
This week I worked on a messy patch. I have a RAC environment with 220.127.116.11 and an old PSU and all kind of one-off patches and I wanted to install the latest PSU (180417). It sounds simple, but it’s not so simple. The thing is that I have 4 database running from the same ORACLE_HOME, all of them are RAC, while some of them are stand-alone, some are primary for standby located on a different RAC and some are standby for a primary located on a different RAC. And the problem with that is that you cannot install a PSU on the primary first, either together or patch the standby first.
During OOW17 a customer ran into a wrong result issue in 18.104.22.168, which is very bad. I diagnosed this and found out that it happens because of bloom filter, so we just disabled that and it was solved. But I still opened an SR so Oracle can find and fix this bug.
As a senior consultant, I often come to a client’s site to diagnose and fix a problem they have. It can be a performance problem, strange database behavior, database crash and more.